SCHEDULE A PROPERTY VALUATION IN ROSANNA VIC. 3084
In 1838 Warringal Village was subdivided into nine portions (ranging in size from one to two square miles), with one of the largest portions, number 5, being purchased in 1840 by settler James Watson. He named the land Rose Anna Farm, after his wife Elizabeth Anna Rose. However, in April 1843 Watson encountered financial difficulties, was charged with fraud and was successfully sued. His company became insolvent and he was subsequently forced to subdivide and sell lots of the farm. Up until the early 1890s, four-fifths of the farm remained as an intact estate. However, in 1901 the Hurstbridge railway line was extended from Heidelberg to run to Rosanna, and in 1902 was further extended through to Eltham. This led to further subdivision and sale of lots. The Rosanna Post Office opened on 12 March 1914, closed in 1917 and reopened in 1926.
In 1949 the shops along Lower Plenty Road, west of the railway crossing, consisted of a fuel merchant, post office, storekeeper, fruiterer, butcher and an estate agent. Numerous houses were being built, and two dairy farmers were east of the crossing. Ten years later there were 24 shops, including clothing and homewares. The growth of the local shopping centre signified the housing growth. In the next ten years housing spread outward from the railway line, and a three-fold increase in rates made the golf club move eastwards by 3 km.